Let's play 20 Questions! This week's guest is Grade 2 Class Teacher Abby Mullen. She took some time out of her busy schedule to play today so that we can get to know her a little better.
1. What three traits define you?
Funny, creative, opinionated
2. What is your philosophy?
I don't think i have one... yet. 3. What's one thing you couldn't live without?
I couldn't live without my cat named Calvin.
4. What are you reading these days?
I am currently reading The Patternist series by Octavia Butler
5. What is the best book you've ever read?
I really can't decide on just one! I love Science Fiction, especially written by women
6. Where is your favorite place to be?
My favorite place to be is surrounded by the people I love and who love me. Preferably in nature!
7. What is your favorite thing to do?
I love camping, cooking, swimming, and crafting. 8. What’s the weirdest job you’ve ever had?
I was a receptionist at a rectory in high school.
9. What’s the coolest (or most important) trend you see today?
The coolest trend I see are young activists who push against so much to make their voices heard.
10. Choose: Beaches or Mountains and tell us why!
Beaches! I love the terrifying and expansive the ocean and the whole other world that lives within it.
11. What has been the most important innovation you have witnessed in your lifetime?
Still thinking about that one.
12. You’re hosting a dinner party. Who are the 3 people, from present or past, who you would invite and why?
Not sure. I'll get back to you on that.
13. What is your favorite food?
I love my mom's chili and my grandma's yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
14. If you could do another job for just one day, what would it be?
Marine Biologist? Paleontologist? Something completely different.
15. What's your best advice?
Be kind to yourself.
16. What would you most like to tell yourself at age 12?
Be kind to yourself.
17. Whom do you admire most?
I admire so many people, but if i have to choose one, I'll go with my mother. She got her PhD when I was in 1st Grade by taking night classes an hour away from home. She also worked full time my entire life as counselor, and later, as the head of the Social Work program at Creighton University. She also taught me about the importance of Feminism at a very young age and came to my school to talk about Women's History Month (I remember being so proud!). Even though she works so hard, she is one of the most fun and lighthearted people I know. When I was little, every once and awhile in the fall, she would take my sister and me out of school for a surprise camping trip. We still love to hike together.
18. What is your greatest fear?
I am afraid of most things. Let's just go with general existential dread.
19. Tell us something that might surprise us about you.
I play the musical saw and went to college for book binding.
20. What is your favorite thing about working at WSNO?
I love watching a child grasp a new concept. It is amazing to watch!